The Green Thumbs Project
The Green Thumbs Project is a KCEP initiative that creates partnerships with local community gardens, or groups wishing to establish an agri-food garden project, or needs support in maintaining an existing garden.
In 2015 we piloted a project that ran weekly over a year at the Monkland Recreation Center with participants from Open Hands. We explored all things that help us grow as people and of course food. This initiative led to two gardens that provided hands on learning and fresh produce to the participants made uo of adults and youth with developmental disabilities.
Since the pilot project we have worked in a number of community gardens and on other farms with children and youth along side folks who graciously share their skills and interests of growing food with a focus on garlic, soil, compost and how gardening contributes to our well being.
We are curremtly focussed on youth driven farming projects out of Renfrew County.
New, past and on going Green Thumbs Projects:
- A new community Garden that Seize the Day Camp will be taking care of over the summer of 2018 with Dundas & Stormont Community Food Share and their volunteers and Winchester Public Elementary. Find out more here.
- A new partneship with Linking Hands and House of Lazarus will have us running food drives of fresh of preserved produce. Find out more here.
- Workshops with volunteers and patients Summer 2018 – CHEO Healing Garden Green Thumbs Workshops Summer 2018. Find out more here.
- On going glarlic workshops with children,staff and patients from the Stroke Rehabiltation Department -Therapeutic Garden at Hôpital Glengarry Memorial Hospital. Find our more here.
- Hamilton Crescent Community Garden Workshops 2015 -2017- Seaway Valley
- Community Health Centre (SVCHC)
- Justice Building Community Gardens 2015 -2017- Transition Cornwall
- Agape Food Bank Community Garden 2016
- Monkland Recreation Community Garden & Tree Planting Workshops 2015 – 2016
- Grow a Row – Against the Grain 2016
- Various High School presentations and workshops on going.